I always balk slightly when I read and hear about organisations saying that their employees can now ‘take ownership’ of their learning.
Ownership should mean accountability; what it more frequently means is responsibility.
- You can choose what to learn – as long as it’s from within this catalogue.
- You can choose when to learn – as long as it’s within these hours and dates.
- You can choose how to learn – as long as it’s through our platform.
- You can choose why to learn – as long as it’s consistent with our brand values and strategies.
- You can choose where to learn – as long as it’s through our approved suppliers, on our platform, or the approved channels.
That isn’t taking ownership. It’s painting by numbers.
True ownership is self-determination and being able to choose what, when, where, why and how completely for yourself.
Trust people to own their learning; they’ll respect you more.