It used to be c-words that were used in business writing- connection, contribution, control, creativity, etc – but we seem to have morphed into using e-words now.
I keep hearing the following words and am not sure people are using them right.
- Emergent – meant to describe what will be, it’s being used when we don’t know what will happen
- Empower – meant to give people responsibility, it’s being used to avoid us being held accountable later
- Evolving – meant to describe growth, it’s being used to slow down the expected pace of change
- Equity – meant to suggest equivalence, it’s being used as a shorthand for diversity AND inclusion when it means neither
- Efficiency – meant to suggest clean processes, it’s being used to cut out personal interaction
Which e-words are appearing and being misused in your world?
One thought on “E-words”
[…] mentioned the other day that equity is being mis-named and the same applies to […]